Magical morning mix
The Mindful Mum
There are a few cheats that can help you stuff nutrient-dense gut-friendly foods into your family while they remain blissfully unaware. One of our favourites is our Magical Morning Mix (trademark pending)! which only needs to be made monthly. It’s a real goodie because you can be sure your family are getting a whole heap of important nutrients and fibre for gut health on a daily basis – no effort required. Give it a try and let us know what your family thinks!
Time To Prepare : 5 min
# Feeds : 40 serves
- 3 tbs maca powder
- Available at any health food store, maca powder is derived from a South American vegetable and is packed full of vitamin B vitamins, C, and E. It also provides plenty of calcium, zinc, iron, magnesium, phosphorous and amino acids. Women have used maca to treat symptoms of menopause, female hormone imbalance, depression, libido, exhaustion and menstrual issues.
- 1 tbs ground cinnamon
- Best buy organic if you can as the flavour is just so much richer. Cinnamon can lower blood sugar levels, reduce heart disease risk factors, help prevent cancer, assist with weight-loss and is a strong anti-bacterial.
- ¼ cup super-berries such as Goji Berries, Acai berries or dried blueberries (or both!)
- These babies are the bomb! With benefits that include a feeling of well being and calmness, better athletic performance and quality of sleep, and weight loss, who doesn't need these in your daily diet?
- 5 tbs flax seeds
- The basis of the mix is this super gut food which is high in fibre, which good bacteria munch on to grow big and strong. In-fact there are numerous benefits of which omega-3 is at the top of the list. Omega-3 fatty acids bolster the skin cell membrane of the epidermis. The skin cell membrane influences the ability of the cell to hold onto water. Therefore, if the skin cell holds onto water, it leads to moister, softer skin, which promotes wrinkle prevention and may eradicate existing mild wrinkles. Omega-3 fatty acids contribute to the upkeep of the skin cell membrane, improving the texture and quality of skin.
- 4 tbs white chia seeds
- Like flax seeds these babies are packed with omega 3's and fibre.
Mix all ingredients together and store for up to one year (trust me, it won't last that long!). Sprinkle a tablespoon over cereal, yoghurt or oats.